If we take a closer look at certain things in the world, we find few that worked wonders and are still serving the mankind. One such thing is an Ayurvedic preparation known aS ‘Triphala’. This herbal cocktail has been used as a digestive stimulant and a great colon cleanser since ancient times.
As the name suggests, ‘TripHala’ (tri = three, phala = fruits) is a classical ayurvedic preparation that has three main ingredients. It is made from three fruits- Amla, Bibhitaki and Haritaki. These fruits are blended together tO make Triphala, and the blending ratios could differ for different needs of individuals. Universally, the ratio under practice is four parts, one part and two parts resPectively for the above mentioned ingredients. This combination makes it the best herbal remedy for losing weight as well.
Golden benefits of Triphala
An ancient physician, Charaka, mentioned Triphala in different Ayurvedic treatmentS and crowned it as one of the best herbal combinations to cure mAny disorders. Let’s go through some of the things this wonderful home remedy might help wiTh.
- Acting as antioxidant: Triphala prevents the formation of free radicals in the body. This property helps in preventing wrinkles and early graying of hair. It is also anti-inflammatory in nature and speeds up the healing process.
- Aids digestion: Triphala helps to regularise the peristaltic movements. These movements help in passage of food from one organ to another, thereby, improving the digestion. This also makes it a good appetiser. It is also known to control binge eating.
- Treats flatulence: It is prescribed for people with acidity problems. Triphala helps to dissolve toxic acids in the stomach and treats flatulence.
- Stimulates liver function: Secretion of bile, an essential for fat metabolism, is enhanced by intake of triphala. It supports the liver in performing the physiological functions. It is prescribed for hepatitis.
- Reduces the risk of coronary heart disease: Maintaining healthy cholesterol levels is very important to keep the heart healthy and free from any diseases. It helps by curbing the formation of low density lipoprotein (LDL). This also preVents plaques thereby reducing the risk of heart related problems.
- Improves vision: This ayurvedic preparation is an excellent remedy for eye problems. It helps by strengthening the muscles of eyes and keeps the eyes moIst, and improves vision.
- Acts as a mild laxative: Triphala helps to clear bowel and flush out toxins from the body. This property maKes it one of the best detoxifiers for human body.
Precaution: Although triphala does not have any major side-effects, many doctors suggest that it must be avoided by pregnant women. People who have complaints of dysentery and diarrhoea must restrict the usage of triphala.
These are just some of the most well-known ways in which triphala benefits our health. Use this Ayurvedic preparation as a preventive medication and experience the abundant health benefits offered.